Re: License for PostgreSQL for commercial purpose

From: listas(at)lozano(dot)eti(dot)br
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>,Radu-Adrian Popescu <radu(dot)popescu(at)aldratech(dot)com>
Cc: Doug Quale <quale1(at)charter(dot)net>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: License for PostgreSQL for commercial purpose
Date: 2004-03-27 03:12:23
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

> > | The Postgres license is a free software license that is GPL
> > | compatible.
> >
> > Where GPL compatible means (possibly among other things) that I can get
> > a BSD-licensed Postgresql and turn it into a GPL-licensed MyPostgresql ?
> >
> No, it means you can distribute the two together like on a redhat CD
> without worrying about conflicting licenses.

If I understand the licenses correctly, the point about being GPL-compatible is
not putting everything on a CD. It's linking gpl code with non-gpl code. Say, I
create a command-based dump utility for PostgreSQL (and so links the pgsql
clientlibrary) but use the GNU Readline library for command-listory (which is
gpl'ed). If the PostgreSQL license wasn't compatible, I would bot be able to
link the Readline library into my executable.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Murthy KambhampatyDate: 2004-03-27 04:18:52