Re: automatic pg_dumpall

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Victor Sudakov <vas(at)mpeks(dot)no-spam-here(dot)tomsk(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: automatic pg_dumpall
Date: 2004-03-26 20:47:17
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 04:21:16 +0000,
  Victor Sudakov <vas(at)mpeks(dot)no-spam-here(dot)tomsk(dot)su> wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> If I have to organize an automatic nightly pg_dumpall, how do I handle
> authentication ? I do not want to create a passwordless superuser (or
> trust method in pg_hba.conf), and there is noone to enter the password
> manually.  Is there another recipe?

Who do you trust? If you trust the system account that pg_dump is running
under (and if you don't you have problems) and pg_dump is being run on
the same machine as the postgres server, use a domain socket connection
and ident authentication. This doesn't work on all OS's, but in works on
a number of common ones.