Re: column size too large, is this a bug?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Qing Zhao <qzhao(at)quotefx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org,Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Subject: Re: column size too large, is this a bug?
Date: 2004-03-26 18:01:47
Lists: pgsql-performance
Quig,

> Your responses have made it much clear for us. BTW, do you
> think that it's better for us just to rewrite everything so we don't
> need to use the patch at all? Why do others still use it?

Others use it because of the same reason you do.

If you want to use the patch for seemless porting, I suggest that you contact
Evgen directly.  He's not very active on the main project mailing lists, so
you'll need to e-mail him personally.   You may also need to sponsor him for
bug fixes, since he is apparently an independent developer.  I don't really
know him.

As an alternative, you may want to take a look at the IS_CONNECTED_BY patch
in /contrib/tablefunc in the PostgreSQL source.   As this was developed by
Joe Conway, who is a very active major contributor in the community, it is
more likely to be bug-free.    However, it will force you to change your
query syntax somewhat.

Of course, there are other query tree structures you could use if you're
willing to modify your database design.   But you may not want to go that
far.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions