Re: [PERFORM] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, "Subbiah, Stalin" <SSubbiah(at)netopia(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux
Date: 2004-03-23 16:15:39
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

Mark,

> It might be worth considering Apple if you want a 64-bit chip that has a
> clock speed comparable to Intel's - the Xserv is similarly priced to Sun
> V210 (both dual cpu 1U's).

Personally I'd stay *far* away from the XServs until Apple learns to build
some real server harware. The current XServs have internal parts more
appropriate to a Dell desktop (promise controller, low-speed commodity IDE
drives), than a server.

If Apple has prices these IU desktop machines similar to Sun, then I sense
doom ahead for the Apple Server Division.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions