Re:

From: Jonathan Gardner <jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net>
To: "Colm De Barra" <colm(at)aruke(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re:
Date: 2004-03-18 18:41:18
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Monday 05 April 2004 10:27 pm, Colm De Barra wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I don't know if this is possible but maybe someone here
> will know.
>
> I compiled version 7.4.1 of postgres and added a specially
> patched version of postgis which allows me to store and retrieve
> spatial data.
>
> I have another postgres installation (version 7.3 I think) on
> another machine which has all my map data stored on it, but doesn't
> have the special patched version of postgis.
>
> The data is huge - well over 50 gigs - so theres no way I want to have
> to copy all the data onto the new box. Is there any way I can point the
> new installation at the tables on the old installation ??

50 Gigs is a lot. I would just do a direct pipe from dump to psql. You'll
need two servers (or two clusters running on one server) -- the old one and
the new one.

It'll look like this:
$ pg_dumpall (old database options) | psql (new database options) template1

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net