Re: books

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Tom Allison <tallison(at)tacocat(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: books
Date: 2004-03-17 16:11:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 07:14:11 -0500,
Tom Allison <tallison(at)tacocat(dot)net> wrote:
> I have the book, "Postgres Introduction and Concepts" by Bruce Momjian
> dated 2001 (version 7.0.2) and O'Reilly's "Pracitcal PostgreSQL" dated
> 2002 (version 7.1.x).
>
> I already noticed a change in the pg_hba.conf files to include an extra
> column from the books to my current version 7.4.2
>
> I am trying to assess the need to keep using these books. I am assuming
> that probably 90% of the books are valid until I get into vacuum and
> some administration goodies.
>
> Without reading all the changelogs yet, am I close?
> I know I'll have to keep hitting the docs themselves to be sure, but I
> would hate to toss these before they get a chance to get really worn out.

If you are using the book to learn SQL it won't be that far off and having
a paper version can be convenient. For administration, I would suggest reading
the current online docs.

The online docs make a very nice reference book. It may even be worth
printing out as a paper book if you can build postscript files from the
docs. This isn't easy and the PS docs for 7.4 aren't premade and available
for download. As an alternative I have the html version of the docs installed
locally so that I can easily look through them.