Re: pgsql-server/src/test/regress expected/random. ...

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/src/test/regress expected/random. ...
Date: 2004-03-15 16:06:13
Lists: pgsql-committers
Tom Lane wrote:
> momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> > 	Improve random regression tests to fail less frequently.
>
> If you're gonna do that you should fix the discussion in the admin
> guide.  It presently says that failures in random should be expected
> every five to ten trials, and even hints that you should be concerned
> if you never see a failure.

Oh, I didn't know we had a mention of random there too.  New text is:

    <para>
     There is at least one case in the <literal>random</literal> test
     script that is intended to produce random results. This causes
     random to fail the regression test occasionally.  Typing
<programlisting>
diff results/random.out expected/random.out
</programlisting>
     should produce only one or a few lines of differences.  You need
     not worry unless the random test always fails in repeated
     attempts.
    </para>

I wanted to reduce the frequency of random failure by doing more random
tests, and reduce the amount of confusion when it fails.  I see no way
of preventing it from ever failing.