Re: listening addresses

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: listening addresses
Date: 2004-03-15 18:52:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Andrew, Tom:

This will be a really nice feature for those of us with PG servers that
participate in VPNs. Currently I'm blocking certain interfaces using
pg_hba.conf but would prefer a "listen" address instead.

Of course, the drawback to this is that confused DBAs will have their
pg_hba.conf conflict with their postgresql.conf, and cut off all access to
the DB. But I don't know how we can protect against that.

Might I suggest that this default to "127.0.0.1" in postgresql.conf.sample?
This is a reasonably safe default, and would allow us to use the same default
for Windows as for other OSes. It would also eliminate about 15% of the
questions I get on a weekly basis from PHP users. ("uncomment the line
tcpip_sockets ...").

If I had time, I would also love to see setting the password for the postgres
user become part of the initdb script. However, I can see that this wouldn't
work with packages.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions