Re: Access 2002 and psqlodbc 7.03.02

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "David P(dot) Lurie" <dbase4(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Access 2002 and psqlodbc 7.03.02
Date: 2004-03-11 23:38:02
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- "David P. Lurie" <dbase4(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Sorry for duplicate post if such occurs; I
> originally posted this via
> news.gmane.org before subscribing to the mailing
> list.
>
> I'm trying to use Access 2002 as a front end to
> postgresql on a small LAN,
> with several local users and a few intermittent
> users via VPN from home.
>
> Server : SCO OSR 5.0.7
> postgresql 7.3.4 - binary version that
> came with a recent
> SCO update; will build a new version from source
> when time
> allows.
>
> Workstations: XP Pro or Windows 2000
> cygwin version 7.4.1 on two
> XP boxes, along with
> PGAdminIII and psqlodbc
> 7.03.02.
>
> Hope to asynchronously replicate from the server to
> the Windows boxes at
> night, in addition to server DAT and DVD backups.

Why? In particular, why do you want to concurrently
run local and server versions of the database?

> The workstations will
> eventually get Office XP Developer runtime versions
> of the planned Access
> application.
>
> Some of the tables will need something analogous to
> an Access autonumber
> field. Postgresql sequences used to populate an int8
> column seem similar. A
> short VBA procedure could set the field value to
> nextval(sequence_name) as
> the BeforeUpdate event for a data entry form. Would
> this be the correct
> approach?

No need, if you are using bound forms. On the one
hand you will always have the primary key value handy,
which may help you avoid some error cases. But then
you need a network round trip to get it, for every
insert. I doubt that it's worth the trouble.

> Should queries be passthrough whenever possible, for
> speed?

Yes.