Re: updateable resultset only working for tables?

From: Guido Fiala <guido(dot)fiala(at)dka-gmbh(dot)de>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: updateable resultset only working for tables?
Date: 2004-03-11 13:30:05
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Am Donnerstag, 11. März 2004 14:00 schrieb Kris Jurka:
> > Is there a way to tell the driver the primary keys manually (as i know
> > them at this point in my code) for a certain ResultSet/Statement or
> > another solution to this problem?
>
> How would you propose providing this information to the driver? If you

I would tell it this way maybe:

ResultSet.setPrimaryKeys(String[] pks);

After this the driver should trust me and simply go on.

Now how do i know about the primary keys? Well - i can whether define a
certain naming scheme for my application
-or-
am more nice and general solution would be to massage postgres
system-catalogues until i get a view containing the primary keys of a view.

The "algorithm" is easily written, but not as easy to do, i know...

If we would end up with a select-statement which holds all the primary keys of
all tables used in a view (recursively) with their alias-names it would just
be the right thing. Yes? No?

> have the primary key columns, you should also have the non-pk columns
> making an update simple. You're just going to have to bite the
> bullet on this one and either avoid the view or write an update statement
> yourself.

So it looks now...

Guido