Re: Org Types, was: The big MySQL spin

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>,'Lamar Owen' <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>,Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Org Types, was: The big MySQL spin
Date: 2004-03-11 16:16:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Hmmmm ....

Anarchistic/Democratic Ogliarchic Meritocracy, really.

Boy, ain't that fun to say!

The Core may be an "ogilarchy", but most things are decided individually or
collectively by Hackers and the sub-project leads, whose influence is almost
directly based on seniority and contributions to the project.   Also, we
seldom take votes with actual counts; our "voting" process tends to be more
reminicent of anarchist labor organizations and political groups, where we
attempt to build a consensus out of all participants or "all minus one".

Also, Core is aware that we can't do anything that we can't persuade the
majority of contributors is a good idea, lest we lose people from the
project.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions