Re: using pgsql on my comp only without tcp

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: stm23 <STM23(at)student(dot)canterbury(dot)ac(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: using pgsql on my comp only without tcp
Date: 2004-03-10 05:02:16
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:47:16 +1300,
  stm23 <STM23(at)student(dot)canterbury(dot)ac(dot)nz> wrote:
> hi, i am unable to setup my modem on my redhat 8.0 OS, so i don't think i can
> get TCP access.  is it possible to use pgsql entirely on my local computer
> (i.e creating my own databases & manipulating them on my comp)?. what
> variables do i need to alter to do so?  i just want to be able to simulate the

You don't need a modem for tcp access on the same machine that is running
postgres. There is a loopback interface that is part of the OS that takes
care of that. You also have (the better) option of using domain sockets
for connecting to the database from the same host.

> labs for my 300 level uni course so i practice using databases.  i am also
> having difficulty finding my postgresql.conf file.  i have my psql &
> postmaster files in the following directories:
>
> /usr/bin/psql
> /usr/bin/postmaster
>
> but i can't find any pgsql folder grouping pgsql stuff together.

The database cluster directories are typically in /usr/lib/pgsql.
Each cluster will have its own directory. Typically you have one
cluster in the 'data' directory. The per cluster config files
(such as postgres.conf) will be in that directory. I don't know if
Redhat supplies you with a cluster or not. You can create new ones
using the initdb command. You give the location of the new cluster
using the -D option.