Re: Database Encryption (now required by law in Italy)

From: Silvana Di Martino <silvanadimartino(at)tin(dot)it>
Subject: Re: Database Encryption (now required by law in Italy)
Date: 2004-03-07 08:53:16
Lists: pgsql-admin
Alle 17:24, sabato 6 marzo 2004, Gorshkov ha scritto:
> When you connect to amazon.com from italy,  my understanding is that you're
> (legally) conducting business in the USA, because that's where the
> transaction actually takes place - that's where the servers are.

Well, there are two different and unrelated business operations:
- When you buy a book on Amazon, you are doing buiness in the USA, because the
transaction takes place in the USA (or, at least, so it looks like)
- When Amazon collects personal data regarding italian people in a wrong way,
is violating an italian law because the data collection regards italian
citizens and takes place in Italy. At least, this is what our law-makers
implicity states in the text of this new privacy law.

Anyway, the only reliable source of info about this topic is WTO. Is WTO that
rules these international aspect of business.

> The reverse however should be correct - I should now be able to connect to
> an Italian website from here in Canada, and not have to worry about my info
> winding up in the hands of some @#*($&@#*( spammer :-)

That is exactly what should happen.

Alessandro Bottoni and Silvana Di Martino
alessandrobottoni(at)interfree(dot)it
silvanadimartino(at)tin(dot)it