connection problem - why idle

From: dinakar <din_akar(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: connection problem - why idle
Date: 2004-03-06 05:30:24
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi All,

We have hosted an web application and now it is live.

s/w used : Apache, Tomcat 4.1.x, Postgresql 7.x

It seems that there is a major problem with the
database connectivity.

What we are seeing is that over a period of time the
database reports more and more connections from the
our web application until the connection limit (100 on
our setup) is reached.

this is a sample code i am using across application.

whether we need to release the connection explicitly ?

As of now i have not released the connection only i
have closed it .... ?

/*****************************************************/

-------------my db class-----------------
try {

this.setConnection(ConnectionPool.getConnection());
ArrayList arrList = new ArrayList();

con.setAutoCommit(false);
preStmt = con.prepareStatement("SELECT * from t");
resultSet = preStmt.executeQuery();

while (resultSet.next()) {
}
return arrList;
}
catch(Exception ex) {
sberror.append(ex.getMessage());
return null;
}

finally {
try {
con.setAutoCommit(true);
resultSet.close();
preStmt.close();
con.close();
}
catch (SQLException e) {
sberror.append(e.getMessage());
return null;
}
}

-----------my Connectionpool class-----------

public static Connection getConnection() {

Connection con = null;
javax.sql.DataSource ds;
try {
ds = (DataSource)
ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/postgres");
if (ds != null) {
con = ds.getConnection();
}
else