Re: pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Makefile

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Makefile
Date: 2004-03-06 03:01:32
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-docs
Tom Lane wrote:
> momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> > 	Use '-' for stdin on lynx, my lynx version doesn't support -stdin.
>
> How old is your lynx?  I checked before making that patch, and -stdin
> seemed to be in the oldest lynx I had handy (RHL 8.0).

I am using:

	Lynx Version 2.8.3rel.1 (23 Apr 2000)

I assume bsdi kept that version perhaps because newer versions had
troubles with some things.

In the old days, only I did HISTORY.  Now that others are doing it,
which is good, we should standardize to prevent CVS from recording
massive changes to HISTORY for different versions of lynx.

> BTW, I recently installed 2.8.5rel.1 here, and it generates very clean
> text output --- no weird trailing spaces, proper justification of
> headings, etc.  I'd suggest standardizing on that for building the
> HISTORY file.

I see on postgresql.org:

	Lynx Version 2.8.5dev.16 (01 Jun 2003)

I used that to generate HISTORY, and I did a diff against the HISTORY I
generated, and the only difference is that it doesn't have spaces on
blank lines, which is even better output than mine.

In the future, I will use postgresql.org lynx.  If you find yours
generates similar output to that, you can keep using your local one.

I have changed the lynx flag back to -stdin, and regenerated HISTORY, so
you can run a comparison with CVS to see if yours is similar.