Database Encryption (now required by law in Italy)

From: Silvana Di Martino <silvanadimartino(at)tin(dot)it>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Database Encryption (now required by law in Italy)
Date: 2004-03-05 09:54:25
Lists: pgsql-admin
The new italian law about personal data protection (aka "privacy") requires
the use of cryptography _both_ for protecting the network traffic _and_ for
protecting the (personal) data stored on the hard disk.

While I can see how to protect a PGSQL connection using SSH tunneling or a
VPN, I cannot see any way to encrypt a PGSQL database stored on a hard disk,
put aside the possibility to encrypt the hosting file system with LoopAES.

Is there any (native/third party) tool for encrypting a PGSQL database on the
disk? Is there any PGSQL option for encrypting data on the fly?

Many thanks in advance for your attention.

NOTE: the italian law on privacy ("Decreto Legge 196/03", Dicembre 2003) is
available on the net:

http://www.garanteprivacy.it
http://www.interlex.it

Of course, just in italian...
Alessandro Bottoni and Silvana Di Martino
alessandrobottoni(at)interfree(dot)it
silvanadimartino(at)tin(dot)it

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Matt ClarkDate: 2004-03-05 11:17:52
Previous:From: Dave EwartDate: 2004-03-05 09:51:56