Re: BUG #1084: dropping in-use index causes "could not open relation

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL Bugs List <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1084: dropping in-use index causes "could not open relation
Date: 2004-03-02 18:16:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I think the problem is similar to the FAQ item about using temp tables
in plpgsql functions. On your first plpgsql call, the function body is
compiled and cached for future calls. If the index is dropped, the
cached function doesn't know that and errors out. We really need some
dependency code to remember all the object referenced in a function, but
we don't have that yet.

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us