Re: Publish SPF records for

From: Jonathan Gardner <jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Publish SPF records for
Date: 2004-03-02 18:46:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday 02 March 2004 09:53 am, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Jonathan M. Gardner wrote:
> > Is there any reason not to publish SPF records for Do
> > we have control over the TXT records, and does anyone know which
> > servers are authorized to send mail for How do we
> > handle mail forwarding for those who own an email
> > address?
> Until today, I didn't know what SPF records were ...

I was hoping to increase awareness of SPF with this email... I guess I have
succeeded! ;-) I should've mentioned it earlier.

> We have control over everything, but as for sending mail 'for
>', there are *alot* of them, since we have several relay
> servers provided by various ppl around the world to spread the load of
> distribution for the mailing lists ...

We can add all of these servers to a domain like "",
and then declare any server in "" as a valid server
in the TXT record for That way, we won't have to have a
huge TXT record.

My only concetion is when you (scrappy(at)postgresql) go to send mail as
scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org, you are sending it through You'll
need to either get this domain listed in the SPF record (see above), or
start sending your email as scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org through a common server
with SMTP authentication. The same applies for anyone else who has a email account.

Jonathan Gardner