Re: installing pgsql

From: joseph speigle <joe(dot)speigle(at)jklh(dot)us>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installing pgsql
Date: 2004-02-28 16:49:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 02:14:56PM +1300, stm23 wrote:
> hi, thanx for yr previous advice. i have found that i do have openssl
> (0.9.7a) installed. could any1 help advise me how to get my system to find
> these files (libcrypto.so.2 & libssl.so.2). i have looked at the LDCONFIG man
> page but are still unsure what i need to alter. to alter my library path what
> file do i need to modify? perhaps then i could send u my current library path
> details, & u might be able to see what is missing.
> thanx, sam
>
> >===== Original Message From stm23 <STM23(at)student(dot)canterbury(dot)ac(dot)nz> =====
> >hi, i tryed to install postgresql 7.4.1 on my redhat 8.0 OS. i got the
> >following error message:
> >
> >[root(at)localhost POSTGRESQL]# rpm -i postgresql-7.4.1-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> >error: Failed dependencies:
> > libcrypto.so.2 is needed by postgresql-7.4.1-1PGDG
> > libssl.so.2 is needed by postgresql-7.4.1-1PGDG
> >
> >does any1 have any advice as to how i can install pgsql successfully?
> >any help would be greatly appreciated
> >thanx, sam

These error messages don't mean that it can't find the libraries but that it needs to have those rpms installed; the rpm when it tries to install itself checks the rpm-database for existence of necessary rpms, and if it doesn't see that, it doesn't attempt the install. Even if you have those libraries installed like from tarball, it will refuse to build. There are some rpm options like --force which will build without the dependent rpms being there, and it will succeed, if the libraries on there in an available place. Or, you could install those libraries from rpms.

joe
--
speigle
www.sirfsup.com