Re: Tablespaces

From: "Alex J(dot) Avriette" <alex(at)posixnap(dot)net>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespaces
Date: 2004-02-26 22:28:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 08:22:25AM +1100, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> interested if anyone could provide some real world benchmarking of file
> system vs. raw disk. Postgres benefits a lot from kernel file system cache
> at the moment. Also, I believe that database designers have traditionally
> made bad file system designers. Raw database partitions often lack the
> tools essential to a scalable environment. For example, the ability to
> resize partitions.

The only reason I mentioned it to begin with was the recommendation of
directio for databases in the Sun Blueprint, _Tuning Databases on the
Solaris Platform_ (and being a Solaris geek, I asked, but apparently
nobody else is worried enough about performance or not using Solaris
enough to care).

It's not critical, of course. I think, however, that many of us would
like to see some of the features of Oracle and DB2 available to users
of postgres. Some of these features are raw disk, tablespaces, and
replication. We're getting there, and making really terrific progress
(I fully expect replication to be ready for primetime in the 8-12 mos
timeframe), but we're not quite there yet.

As I said, I'm very glad to hear tablespaces mentioned again and see
what looks like work being done on it.

Thanks!
Alex

--
alex(at)posixnap(dot)net
Alex J. Avriette, Solaris Artillery Officer