Re: FreeBSD config

From: Dror Matalon <dror(at)zapatec(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FreeBSD config
Date: 2004-02-26 21:58:38
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 05:47:47AM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > We have postgres running on freebsd 4.9 with 2 Gigs of memory. As per
> > repeated advice on the mailing lists we configured effective_cache_size
> > = 25520 which you get by doing `sysctl -n vfs.hibufspace` / 8192
> >
> > Which results in using 200Megs for disk caching.
>
> effective_cache_size does nothing of the sort.  CHeck your
> shared_buffers value...

Sigh.

http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html

effective_cache_size
	Sets the optimizer's assumption about the effective size of the disk
	cache (that is, the portion of the kernel's disk cache that will be
	used for PostgreSQL data files). This is measured in disk pages, which
	are normally 8 kB each.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2003-07/msg00159.php
talks about how to programmatically determine the right setting for
effective_cache_size:
	case `uname` in "FreeBSD")
	echo "effective_cache_size = $((`sysctl -n vfs.hibufspace` / 8192))"
					;;
					*)
	echo "Unable to automatically determine the effective cache size" >> /dev/stderr
				;;
				esac

which brings me back to my question why not make Freebsd use more of its
memory for disk caching and then tell postgres about it.

--
Dror Matalon
Zapatec Inc