Re: simple make check failures

From: Jonathan Scott <jwscott(at)vanten(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: simple make check failures
Date: 2004-02-26 06:09:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for writing, Tom.

I checked my system, and bison is reporting itself as 1.875. I am using SuSE 9.0, and I did have to upgrade to get that configuration message to go away, AND to make it compile.

Could you recommend a way I could get bison to reproduce that message? Perhaps I should recompile bison from source, so it does not do any kind of backward compatibility stuff? (if you are in fact suggesting that is what the old bison reported)

Jonathan Scott

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 00:17:14 -0500

> Jonathan Scott <jwscott(at)vanten(dot)com> writes:
> > When using the current head of pgsql, I find four errors when running "make check". They are all of the same nature, basically that the expected.out file has "syntax error", where as psql is saying "parse error".
>
> What bison version are you using? That was a bison change a few revs
> back.
>
> I'm actually surprised that CVS tip builds at all with a bison that
> predates that change. We are stressing bison because the grammar
> is so large. You really need bison 1.875 or later. (I think configure
> will warn about it if your bison is older, but the warning is easy to
> miss in the voluminous configure chatter :-()
>
> regards, tom lane

Jonathan Scott, Programmer, Vanten K.K.
jwscott(at)vanten(dot)com Tel: 03-5919-0266
http://www.vanten.com Fax: 03-5919-0267