Re: [PHP] phpBB 2.2 and PostgreSQL support

From: Harry Broomhall <harry(dot)broomhall(at)uk(dot)easynet(dot)net>
To: postgresql(at)rasadam(dot)com (Adam Alkins)
Cc: gcbirzan(at)wolfheart(dot)ro, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PHP] phpBB 2.2 and PostgreSQL support
Date: 2004-02-25 17:21:50
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-php
Adam Alkins writes:
> The phpBB developers have always maintained a policy of doing their code
> in house. 2.2 is still ALPHA, you really can't fault them for not fixing
> the PostgreSQL code yet. The developers work on MySQL natively, then
> they polish up everything else before releasing it as a package.
>
> It really should not be "surprising" or "amazing".

   I haven't seen the original posting, so I'm commenting on this comment
(so to speak)

   I run phpBB 2.0.6 with PostgreSQL with no probs at all.  I just downloaded
the package from www.phpbb.com and followed the instructions.  It was one
of the easist installations I can remember for a long time!

   Downloading CVS/ALPHA has always struck me as living dangerously!
   And I note that 2.0.6 is the current release.

   Regards,
       Harry.

> >Hello!
> >
> >I recently tried the open source forum software phpBB the CVS version,
> >2.1/2.2. To my surprise, I've found that it's lacking PostgreSQL
> >support, or, rather, that its support is not functional.
> >
> >After playing around for a bit, I managed to get a semi-functional
> >2version working, I went and had a talk with the phpBB people. Amazingly
> >enough, they refused to accept any of my changes in their codebase,
> >saying it's still too early for that and the developers will fix it when
> >they think the time is right.
> >
> >The reason I'm mailing you is that I've managed to get a relatively
> >functional version of it and wondered if anyone is interested in
> >helping me further maintain/fix it, until the phpBB developers
> >consider it's time to support other SQL backends.
[SNIP]