Re: plug-n-play MS SQL Server replacement

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plug-n-play MS SQL Server replacement
Date: 2004-02-21 01:52:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Chris,

> Most conspicuously, MySQL is most likely an imitator of Sybase
> (progenitor of the code that Microsoft sells) in having
> "autoincrementing columns" as compared to PostgreSQL's notion of
> "sequence objects."

Nope. AUTO_INCREMENT is in the SQL 99 spec. It's actually well-supported
in the industry. Eventually we'll probably come up with a command to
emulate it using sequences so that we can have the SQL-compliance points.

Mind you, AUTO_INCREMENT is one of those things that the SQL committee screwed
up on, like the INTERVAL type.

And don't know Sybase, it's a pretty good system with some features we could
do worse than steal.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions