Re: Tables on multiple disk drives

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>,Craig Thomas <craiger(at)osdl(dot)org>
Cc: <lists2(at)tokar(dot)ru>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tables on multiple disk drives
Date: 2004-02-19 04:56:47
Lists: pgsql-performance
Konstantin,

Howdy!   I bet you're a bit taken aback by the discussion that ensued, and
even more confused than before.

You are actually asking about two related features:

Tablespaces, which allows designating different directories/volumes for
specific tables and indexes at creation time, and:

Partitioned Tables, which allows the division of large tables and/or indexes
horizontally along pre-defined criteria.

The first, tablespaces, are under development and may make it for 7.5, or
maybe not, but certainly in the version after that.

The second, partitioned tables, is NOT under development because this feature
lacks both a programmer and a clear specification.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions