Re: Need new project admin for unbundled Tcl interface

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: L J Bayuk <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com>,Brett Schwarz <brett_schwarz(at)yahoo(dot)com>,pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need new project admin for unbundled Tcl interface
Date: 2004-02-18 03:57:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, L J Bayuk wrote:
>
> > I offered to take over the Gborg pgtcl project because I thought nobody
> > wanted it. It seemed stalled, having made no releases since beta3 in
> > November 2002, no CVS updates since January 2003, and no progress on the
> > reference manual. I assumed the project admins had moved on to other
> > things and would be glad to turn it over.
> >
> > The response I got was no, they don't want to give it up, but I could
> > join and get CVS commit rights. Not good enough, unless there are going
> > to be releases. I'm not hearing that there will be releases.
>
> If there have been no commits to the gborg version in almost a year, what
> would a new release be based off of?  What I'm really curious of is why
> the patches to -core didn't get into gborg ... IMHO, the current gborg
> seems to have gone 'stale' :(
>
> > I really don't want to antagonize anyone, but I think a project fork is
> > in order. I'll put my version into a new project, and we'll see what
> > happens.
>
> Well, that works too ... since I know the gborg version is not in sync
> with the -core version, and since I think that bringing gborg in sync with
> -core would be confusing at best ... if you can create the project, I can

Why confusing?  Add core changes to gborg, remove the core version, and
submit patches to improve the gborg version.

> copy the current CVS files (with history) from -core to gborg ... I really
> don't want to lose the changes/history over the past year ...

If you submit changes, there will be a release and it will start to
move.  Making a new project just so it is new really isn't going to add
much.

As for why the core changes didn't make it into gborg, few realized
there was a gborg version because there was still a version in core CVS.