Re: Need new project admin for unbundled Tcl interface

From: L J Bayuk <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org (Marc G(dot) Fournier)
Cc: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian),brett_schwarz(at)yahoo(dot)com (Brett Schwarz),pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need new project admin for unbundled Tcl interface
Date: 2004-02-18 02:55:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > >
> > > The issue right now is that the -core and gborg versions are no longer in
> > > sync ... we're working on correcting that ...
> >
> > He seemed to be saying that he wanted all or nothing, but I couldn't
> > figure out what "all" was.  Glad it is moving forward, so I don't need
> > to understand the issue.  :-)
>
> No, the way I understood it is that LJ got the impression that Brett
> wasn't willing to provide commit access to the CVS, so any patches that LJ
> submitted would hav to go through a review process, etc ...
>
> At least that's what *I* thought hte issue is/was and am working based on
> that :)

Sorry, no. Let's start over.

I offered to take over the Gborg pgtcl project because I thought nobody
wanted it. It seemed stalled, having made no releases since beta3 in November
2002, no CVS updates since January 2003, and no progress on the reference
manual. I assumed the project admins had moved on to other things and would
be glad to turn it over.

The response I got was no, they don't want to give it up, but I could join
and get CVS commit rights. Not good enough, unless there are going to be
releases. I'm not hearing that there will be releases.

I need this interface working, and I don't want a beta- or CVS- version.  I
also want documentation, and I want binaries for Windows. I think the -core
developers want that too, so they can be free of the core version.  So
what's the holdup? (No, it isn't that "the -core and gborg versions are no
longer in sync" - that's a symptom, not the cause - and is someone really
working on that?)

I really don't want to antagonize anyone, but I think a project fork is in
order. I'll put my version into a new project, and we'll see what happens.