Re: Tables on multiple disk drives

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Tokar <lists2(at)tokar(dot)ru>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tables on multiple disk drives
Date: 2004-02-17 14:56:02
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Tuesday 17 February 2004 12:54, Konstantin Tokar wrote:
> Hi!
> Does PostgreSQL allow to create tables and indices of a single
> database on multiple disk drives with a purpose of increase
> performance as Oracle database does? If a symbolic reference is the
> only method then the next question is: how can it be determined what
> file is referred to what table and index?

Yep, symlinks are the way at present (though I think someone is working on
tablespace support). The files are named after the OID of the object they
represent - there is a useful oid2name utility in the contrib/ folder.

You might want to check the archives though, and see what RAID setups people
prefer - less trouble to maintain than symlinking.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd