SSL without verifying server certificate

From: Oliver Nolden <oliver_nol(at)yahoo(dot)de>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SSL without verifying server certificate
Date: 2004-02-16 22:30:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi everyone,

I want to realize a secure database connection with jdbc and SSL between an applet and a postgres database 7.4. The driver pg74jdbc3.jar supports SSL, I created the server certificates with OpenSSL. The postgres server works fine with ssl. To establish a ssl connection with the client, you have to import the self-signed certificate to the client`s machine.

Now my question: Is it possible to establish a ssl connection without importing the server certificate to the client machine? i.e. that the jdbc driver does not verify the self-signed server certificate? Thereby I could use the applet on every computer.

Is there a version of the postgres jdbc driver, which allows a ssl connection without verifying the server certificate? Or is it possible to modify the source code of the current postgres jdbc driver, so that the jdbc driver does not verify the server certicate and allow ssl conection?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Oliver

Mit schönen Grüßen von Yahoo! Mail.
Für die Bilder Ihrer Lieben - Yahoo! Fotos - kostenlos!