Re: [HACKERS] dollar quoting

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] dollar quoting
Date: 2004-02-16 15:48:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> No, it won't. The problem is that it should, because the backend will
> >> see that as '42' followed by a $foo$ quote start.
>
> > Ok, I see what you are saying. This mismatch would only happen on
> > invalid input, though. I believe that what I did will work on all legal
> > input.
>
> I'm unconvinced. Even if there are not any current syntaxes in which a
> numeric literal can be adjacent to a string literal (I'm not totally
> sure about that), what of the future? We should solve the problem
> rather than assuming it won't bite us.
>
> > I think that this might be cured by having psql recognise a legal
> > identifier or keyword and eating it as a word, rather than treating it
> > as just another set of bytes in the stream.
>
> Hm, might work ... will think about it ...

I am a little concerned about adding the overhead of lex to psql. Right
now, some folks have reported that lex/yacc take a considerable amount
of processing time in the backend as part of a query, and adding that to
psql just to do $$ seems questionable. Of course, we can alway test and
see what the overhead shows.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us