Re: Changing from NOT NULL to NULL

From: joseph speigle <joe(dot)speigle(at)jklh(dot)us>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: mosher(at)andrews(dot)edu
Subject: Re: Changing from NOT NULL to NULL
Date: 2004-02-15 23:56:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Is there anyway I can change a field to allowing nulls without dumping the table, dropping it,
> recreating it as desired, and filling all the data back in?

I hope this gets indexed correctly as I hosed the original and tried a cut-n-paste of the subject line,

For that, I have this which I didn't write myself but snagged from somewhere. Maybe pgsql-general???

-- This function takes a table and column and will set the column
-- to allow NULLs.
--
-- $Id$
--

-- Lock table with standard ALTER TABLE locks
EXECUTE ''LOCK TABLE '' || quote_ident(tablename) || '' IN ACCESS EXCLUSIVE MODE'';

-- Update the system catalogs
EXECUTE ''UPDATE pg_attribute SET attnotnull = false WHERE attrelid = (SELECT oid FROM pg_class WHERE relname = '' || quote_literal(tablename) || '') AND attname = '' || quote_literal(colname);

-- Get number of rows modified
GET DIAGNOSTICS rec_affected = ROW_COUNT;

-- Return number of rows modified
RETURN (rec_affected = 1);

END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'