Re: Disappointing performance in db migrated from MS SQL Server

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disappointing performance in db migrated from MS SQL Server
Date: 2004-02-13 12:38:57
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 05:19:27PM -0500, Chris Ruprecht wrote:

> what he's doing, this might be a bottleneck. I don't like the virtual memory
> strategy of Linux too much and would rather increase this to 1 - 2 GB for the
> Postgres DB - Specially since he's not running anything else on the machine
> and he has 4 GB to play with.

Have you ever had luck with 2G of shared memory?

When I have tried that, the system is very fast initially, and
gradually slows to molasses-like speed.  My hypothesis is that the
cache-lookup logic isn't that smart, and so is inefficient either
when using the cache or when doing cache maintenance.

Andrew Sullivan