Re: support for printing/exporting xml

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Brian Moore <brianmooreca(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: support for printing/exporting xml
Date: 2004-02-12 19:24:46
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I assume the group agreed that adding XML to libpq was the way to
> > > handle XML, with a hook in psql to call it.
> >
> > I'm not sure about that, but we certainly disagree with this kind
> > of nonstandard XML when there is a perfectly good standard out
> > there.
>
> OK, can you elaborate? What is the non-standard part? His choice of
> tags?

Yes. The SQL/XML standard has been discussed several times on this
list. Additionally, it has been mentioned that an implementation in
libpq is too specific for some. Some people want streaming interfaces,
some want it in the backend, etc. I think there are going to be many
implementations of the XML theme, so I think it's premature to adopt
one of them into libpq.