Re: Disappointing performance in db migrated from MS SQL Server

From: Chris Ruprecht <chris(at)ruprecht(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disappointing performance in db migrated from MS SQL Server
Date: 2004-02-12 22:19:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

Bruce,

my bet is on the limited amount of shared memory. The setup as posted by Leon
only shows 80 MB. On a 4 GB database, that's not all that much. Depending on
what he's doing, this might be a bottleneck. I don't like the virtual memory
strategy of Linux too much and would rather increase this to 1 - 2 GB for the
Postgres DB - Specially since he's not running anything else on the machine
and he has 4 GB to play with.

[snip]