Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Paul Smith" <iconpart(at)hotmail(dot)com>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres
Date: 2004-02-12 19:29:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Paul,

> I am evaluating Postgres for an existing Java application. I already have
> the app running with Oracle ($$$) and Sybase (oooold!) and I am trying to
> convince my management that it is worth going fully open source. (We already
<snip>
> or the Win XP version of pg_dumpall? Clients do not use Linux boxes, they
> use Wintel or Mac boxes. You do not have to like it, but ignoring them
> doesn't make them go away.

What makes you think that these things aren't under development, or already
exisiting?  Have you done any research at all, even asked questions on a
mailing list?

This is an Open Source project, Paul.  If you really cared, you would offer to
help, or at least ask for help, instead of posting a useless and
poorly-researched rant.   Money, code, and other forms of assistance to get
the features you want are welcome; desctructive criticism is a waste of
everyone's time.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions