Where do I start?

From: <kynn(at)panix(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Where do I start?
Date: 2004-02-06 00:25:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm a rank beginner. (I took a mickeymouse DB course a few years ago;
that's the extent of my DB background.) I want to become proficient
with PostgreSQL, and I thought I would use a personal project as the
vehicle for learning. (I realize that PostgreSQL maybe complete
overkill for *this* project, but I have heftier applications in mind
for the future.)

My pilot learning project is to set up a system to help me with the
recording of several TV shows I follow. This system should keep track
of the episodes I've recorded and of the episodes that are scheduled
to show in the future (this info can be scraped from the Web), plus a
few other details, and send me appropriate reminders by e-mail. I
envision this system as a PostgreSQL database with a Perl front-end
(although I'm open to the possibility of a Python or Ruby front-end).
The "front-end" will handle everything (Web scraping, e-mail
notifications, etc.) other than what's taken care of by the PostgreSQL
DB.

I just installed PostgreSQL in my machine (OS=Linux Debian). Where to
next? What should I be reading to get to the point of being able to
set up the PostgreSQL component of "learning project" as quickly as
possible?

Thanks!

kynn