Re: Mechanics of Update:Cascade

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: beyaRecords - The home Urban music <uzo(at)beya-records(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mechanics of Update:Cascade
Date: 2004-01-31 15:26:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, beyaRecords - The home Urban music wrote:

> Hi,
> could someone please explain to me the mechanics of an UpDate:Cascade?
> Delete:Cascade I fully understand but not Update. I have 2 tables A and
> B. On B I have created a foreign key on user_id in both B and A for
> Update and Delete cascade. If I delete from A it deletes all from B. If
> I update A what happens in B?

Basically it means that if you update the referenced key in A, the
associated referencing values in B changes as well so as to attempt to
keep the associations the same.

Here's an example:

sszabo=# create table a(a int primary key, b int);
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "a_pkey"
for table "a"
CREATE TABLE
sszabo=# create table b(a_key int references a on update cascade, b int);
CREATE TABLE
sszabo=# insert into a values (3, 4);
INSERT 535937 1
sszabo=# insert into a values (4, 5);