Re: catch password on Postgres server

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Bing Du" <bdu(at)iastate(dot)edu>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: catch password on Postgres server
Date: 2004-01-29 21:33:02
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On Thursday 29 January 2004 19:42, Bing Du wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Postgres 7.4 running on RedHat 9.
>
> We are trying to migrate a MS SQL server based comertial application
> software to a Postgres database.  We know what password that application
> uses to connect to the MS SQL database.

> Is there anyway on the server side to
> see what was  submitted in the password field by the application from the
> client side?

Don't think you can get to the password without changing the code. I can think
of two options:
1. In src/backend/libpq/auth.c search for "echo password to logs" and change
the ereport() to log the password rather than not to. Reply to this if C
isn't your thing.

2. Use tcpdump -s 255 port 5432 and see what's going over the wire. You'd need
to set plaintext passwords though.

Before any of this though, make sure you can connect from Access using that
password.
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd