Re: msg translation into sk_SK, Docs: SGML -> XML

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, "BARTKO, Zoltan" <bartko(dot)zoltan(at)pobox(dot)sk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: msg translation into sk_SK, Docs: SGML -> XML
Date: 2004-01-29 18:02:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Karel Zak wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:29:14AM +0100, BARTKO, Zoltan wrote:
> > I would like to take up the translation of pgsql msg strings
> > into slovak (sk_SK). It is fairly similar to czech (cz_CZ), so it
> > should go quite fast. Please stand up, if you have any objections.
>
> If you don't want to waste time do it if the release 7.5 will at
> least in beta, preferably in messages freeze state and nobody
> will modify PostgreSQL messages.

Actually, we're still looking for people to finish (or start) their 7.4
translations, because that is what most people will be using for the
longest time. When we near 7.5, we'll probably just copy over most of
the 7.4 translations and start from there.

> Peter E. works on XML docbook version of docs. I don't know if he
> wants to move directly to XML or uses on the fly conversion to XML
> by osx (sgml2xml). This conversion you try use by "make testxml"
> stuff in the doc/src/sgml/Makefile. I tested it and it works --
> but for example conversion from XML to PDF by "fop" failed, but
> it's might be fop problem.

The general consensus is that FOP is simply not there yet.

> Peter, what's your planns?

Well, when people feel good about it, we can switch the stored format to
XML. I'm not in a hurry, though, because what is there right now is
almost equivalent. I've also tried out the po2xml thingy and it seems
to work, but translating about 10000 strings seems to be a daunting
task.