Re: ODBC Connection to External Data Source

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: paul_sand(at)mverify(dot)com, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Connection to External Data Source
Date: 2004-01-27 23:29:19
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- "Paul R. Sand" <paul_sand(at)mverify(dot)com> wrote:
> I am looking for procedures on how to connect
> postgres to an external data
> source (ODBC to Oracle). I then will query the
> external data source to write
> into postgres relations. I can't find information on
> how to set up the ODBC
> connection from postgres to Oracle so I can use SQL
> in postgres to access
> data in the Oracle database. I have the Oracle ODBC
> drivers install and can
> access them with Excel. I need to also access the
> database from postgres.
> Any suggestions on where I can find information on
> how to make this OBDC
> connection?

There is an experimental package out there which
allows you to query an Oracle database from a
PostgreSQL database, but you probably don't want that
(if you are interested, check the archives of the
pgsql-hackers list).

You really need a client app to do what you want. The
app would make separate ODBC connections to the two
databases, and transfer data between them as you wish.
A simple setup would be to install the PostgreSQL
ODBC driver on your workstation
(http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc), set up
a DSN for your PostgreSQL database, then link to the
tables for both databases via a MS Access database.
You could then use SQL within Access to do what you
want. This could be slow however, depending on your network.