Re: Extending SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: eepstein(at)prajnait(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extending SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION
Date: 2004-01-27 02:42:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ezra Epstein wrote:

> I'd like to extend SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION to support a form which takes a
> password. Looking at the source it seems, other than changes to the parser,
> there are only 2 relevant functions in 2 files that would be affected. Each
> function is quite small and its function is clear.
>
> I did not find this functionality on the current to-do list:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/todo.php
> And I'm quite new to the PG backend. I don't want to code something up that
> is unwelcome by the developers. On the other hand, if appropriate/accepted,
> I'd be glad to write this little addition to the current functionality.

[ CC to hackers added.]

Uh, a password? What purpose would that serve? Isn't that something
you control when attaching to the database? Is this for prompting for
a username password? The problem is that the SQL query passing isn't
secure like the way we send passwords using libpq, so I don't think this
would be secure or wise to hardcode a password in the SQL.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us