Re: Fwd: Re: [Ossi] New Open Source License: Single Supplier Open Source License

From: "Uwe C(dot) Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>
To: Richard Schilling <rschi(at)rsmba(dot)biz>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Ossi] New Open Source License: Single Supplier Open Source License
Date: 2004-01-25 23:51:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Well, I think this type of license defies the general idea of an Open Source
License. A single supplier open source license would be a closed license with
source handed to the customer (mostly under a non-disclosure term).
A single supplier open source license simply is no open source, since nobody
could benefit from the source - thus it's not "open". Is it even legally ok
to read code licensed like this ? It might influence the implementation of a
similar problem.

What is the idea behind handing source to anybody where the source may not be
used in any way ? The only benefit I can see would be under a special
agreement to the customer in case the "single supplier" goes out of business.
Then the customer could be granted rights to develop/use the product on an
ongoing basis for his business. But this is nothing that needs an open source
license - it just needs an agreement with the customer (and handing out the
source of course)

Also - if it's not acceptable for a developer to work on a software product
that is open source, then don't. But please also tell those developers to not
use any open source tools/languages/operating systems - since it might be
unacceptable for the community to give anything to those developers.....

Although nobody really requires you to contribute to any open source project -
it is considered nice and fair to return some of the favors by contributing
back (at least a little contribution, error testing, whatever - nobody asks
you to do full time development on that project)

You could still open source part of the project and keep the rest closed. For
example reportlab (reportlab.com) used this scheme quite successfully: The
open sourced the pdf generating library, but didn't open the XML description
language and parser which uses the library. Doing so promotes their product -
everyone can play with the library, but if you need it in large scale you
most likely go back to reportlab and buy the addon's and services.

My $0.02

UC

On Sunday 25 January 2004 03:10 pm, Richard Schilling wrote:
> I'm forwarding this message onto this list because this is where the thread
> belongs. I apologise for posting to the active development list.

- --
UC

- --
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC 2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone: +1 650 872 2425 San Bruno, CA 94066
Cell: +1 650 302 2405 United States
Fax: +1 650 872 2417