Re: OT: SCO Extortion

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OT: SCO Extortion
Date: 2004-01-25 05:55:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris Travers wrote:
> I am not sure where SCO is coming from or where its influences are.
> However, I have noticed a number of interesting issues which makes me think
> that this is a major problem at SCO which goes back quite a ways.
>
> I remember Ransom Love (former Caldera CEO) writing that the GPL was bad for
> business. At the time Caldera was a has-been Linux distributor who was
> facing declining sales in part because they had never embraced
> redistributable distros and was being crowded out by RedHat and others.
> Caldera at the time was trying to sell per seat licenses for its Linux
> distro and justifying this by bundling it with proprietary development
> tools. Love left Caldera after they acquired the OS division of Tarantella
> (formerly SCO) and headed the UnitedLinux project for a while. Sometime
> afterward, Caldera renamed itself as The SCO Group.

I am not sure you can call Love wrong in his GPL comments. Isn't this
what Red Hat is moving to with their Enterprise release? I don't think
that is distributable. You can have the source and compile your own,
but I don't think you can distribute the Red Hat binaries anymore. Is
that correct?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us