Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL installation CD based on Morphix

From: Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)snaga(dot)org>
To: jm(at)poure(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL installation CD based on Morphix
Date: 2004-01-23 01:45:11
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
We (Japan PostgreSQL User Group) have just created "PostgreSQL LiveCD"
based KNOPPIX to promote PostgreSQL to newbies. It includes

 - PostgreSQL 7.4.1
 - PHP 4.3.4
 - Apache 1.3.29
 - Tomcat 4.1.9 (but J2SDK is not included because of license.)
 - phpPgAdmin 3.2.1
 - pgAdmin3 1.0.2
 - phpbb
 - Full text search in these manuals

Screen shot:
http://www.postgresql.jp/~snaga/shot.png

If you boot your machine with this CD-ROM, all of them are running and
you can start web application development without any installation.

We will introduce this CD-ROM on NET&COM 2004(Feb.4-6) at Tokyo.

Jean-Michel POURE <jm(at)poure(dot)com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> In the past, there were several discussions in order to find suitable answers
> for MS Windows users willing to install and run PostgreSQL.
>
> Some of you suggested that users should "install GNU/Linux over Windows". Not
> so easy for the basic MySQL or Ms Windows user, who need technical
> assistance ... and fear to destroy their machine.
>
> Therefore, I would like to draw some attention on the Morphix CD project from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/morphix.
>
> Morphix is an auto-bootable Debian GNU/Linux distribution based on Knoppix.
>
> What makes Morphix different is that the project has several graphical
> installers and wizards in preparation (written in plain C, using GTK-2
> libraries and Glade-2) ... which could possibly be used to install GNU/Linux
> and PostgreSQL tools over MS Windows.
>
> You can download a preview CD of Morphix from this address:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/morphix/MorphixCombined-Gnome-0.4-1.iso?download
>
> Except for the installer itself, the wizards are not yet available in the main
> Morphix CD. To have a look at them, you will need to checkout from CVS
> (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/morphix) and open the files in
> Glade-2.
>
> I also made some screenshots here:
>
> - morphixinstaller: once Morphix has booted in demo mode, you can use this
> wizard to install Morphix on the disk. Screenshots:
> http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step1.png
> http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step2.png
> http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step3.png
> http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step4.png
> http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step5.png
> http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step6.png
> http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step7.png
>
> - isomorphgui: graphical distribution maker (select the requested packages for
> your distribution and burn the ISO). Screenshots:
> http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/iso_morph_gui_1.png
> http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/iso_morph_gui_2.png
>
> - partitionmorpher: resize partitions on the fly (GTK-2 interface to
> libparted). Screenshots:
> http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/partition_morpher_1.png
> http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/partition_morpher_2.png
>
> IMHO opinion, there is a need to study the Morphix project in more details.
>
> Morphix could be a possible solution to the MS Windows migration problems. It
> probably involves 50 times less work than migrating PostgreSQL to MS Windows
> (and is a complete different project except for the fact that it could well
> bring as much new users to PostgreSQL than a native Win port and is less
> risky).

> [...]

NAGAYASU Satoshi <snaga(at)snaga(dot)org>