Re: Status: OSCON organization

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca, janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com
Subject: Re: Status: OSCON organization
Date: 2004-01-22 18:43:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:59:44AM -0800, elein wrote:
> I think it is important for you or Jan to do
> a replication tutorial.

I'm not sure that Jan can do a tutorial on the actual replication
system -- he's never had to administer it (fortunately for him), just
fix some bugs in it (unfortunately for him).  I think if he does a
talk on this, it'll have to be on his currently-in-progress system
instead.  (I do think, however, that people at OSCON are way more
likely to want to talk to Jan than to talk to me.  I'm a miserably
bad programmer, so I'm not really in a position to talk about what
we're doing next except in the broadest terms.)

> A talk (as opposed to a tutorial) on
> admin stuff would also be very pertinent
> since the feedback I am collecting
> indicates that people do not think
> that PostgreSQL is as easy to administer
> as it is.

Yes; I was actually wondering what to talk about for 45 minutes.  The
wonder about Postgres is that it mostly runs itself when everything
is going along nicely.

> Can you let me know when you know for
> sure what tutorial and talks you are
> going to propose?

I can propse both of these, then, if you like, assuming someone
better isn't volunteering.  (There are many better, I'm sure, and
I'll happily step out of the way for others.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
		--Roger Brinner