Re: Tables/Columns in upper-case?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Andre Felipe Machado <andremachado(at)techforce(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tables/Columns in upper-case?
Date: 2004-01-21 23:17:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc

* Andre Felipe Machado (andremachado(at)techforce(dot)com(dot)br) wrote:
> I guess that it is an Access issue or its MS driver, because I use OpenOffice
> 1.1 connected to a PostgreSQL through odbc and can use upper or lower case.

That just means openoffice must do the upper->lower conversion for you.

> Actually, odbc adds double quotes in sql commands to encapsulate upper case
> names in order to work in pg.

Hrm, so you can use ""'s around things in psql to maniuplate those
tables? That's kind of annoying, but might be manageable (at least, to
rename the tables).

> It will be not a good idea to incorporate specific programs "features" into a
> generic driver manager. Maybe into an Access odbc driver...

Eh.

> Suggestion:
> After exporting to PostgreSQL, execute a dump to a text file.
> Then, edit it to use only lower case and execute the sql into pg to create new
> lowercase tables.

That'd be rather silly when I can just rename them by putting the table
name in ""s. That's kind of annoying though, imv. :)

Thanks,

Stephen