Re: Organizing the OSCON presence

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Organizing the OSCON presence
Date: 2004-01-21 19:17:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Guys,

> LinuxWorld is currently the default conference where people go, who want
> to **buy** Open Source.

*before* we start another interminable "Developers vs. Marketeers" argument
here, let me jump in.

Both conferences are important in different ways. We should go to OSCON to
reach other OSS developers; we should go to Linuxworld to reach "suits" who
are thinking of trying an OSS database for the first time. Both initiatives
are important, but different.

Regarding *Bruce's* attendence, however, OSCON is the important one. Why?
Because the "suits" could care less that he's a senior member of CORE and the
commit manager. They will be just as happy with me, or Josh D., or Elein ...
maybe happier. They're used to talking to marketing drones -- take a look at
the IBM booth at LWE. 65 salespeople, 6 engineers.

If we have to pick and choose, our star programmers need to focus on the
"developer" conventions, such as OSCON, Gnome, GUADEC, WWDC. The
non-source-hackers on this list can pick up the slack at the "suit"
conventions.

Also, if Comdex improves their OSS Pavillion this year, we may see the
importance of LinuxWorld fading in the US.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions