Re: Queries with timestamps

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Arnau" <arnaulist(at)andromeiberica(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Queries with timestamps
Date: 2004-01-21 19:06:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

Arnau,

> As the number of rows grows the time needed to execute this query takes
> longer. What'd I should do improve the performance of this query?

Tip #1) add an index to the timestamp column
Tip #2) make sure that you VACUUM and ANALYZE regularly
Tip #3) You will get better performance if you pass the "current_date - 1
month" as a constant from the client instead of in the query. This is a
known issue, expected to be fixed in 7.5.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions