Re: pgAdmin3 works in KNOPPIX.

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Hiroshi Saito" <saito(at)inetrt(dot)skcapi(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3 works in KNOPPIX.
Date: 2004-01-20 21:48:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le Mardi 20 Janvier 2004 22:17, Dave Page a écrit :
> Excellent. I believe Andreas was going to look at updating our wx snapshot
> so this should be resolved then.
> Does KNOPPIX use the Debian packaging system?
> Regards, Dave.

Knoppix is based on a Debian unstable distribution, but includes some
non-standard .deb packages. Knoppix can be updated to a nearly full Debian
installation using "apt-get dist-upgrade".

In the same field, there is also a distribution called Morphix
(http://www.morphix.org), which shares code with Knoppix.

In my opinion, Morphix seems to be more interesting as their team works on
various installation programs like:

- disk partitioner,
- installer to disk,
- GUI to create a distribution.
(some are only available in CVS)

Like Hiroshi wrote, many people are looking for a distro gathering all
software needed to demonstrate, install and administrate PostgreSQL
databases...

Looking at Morphix, sometimes I am not sure that PostgreSQL really needs a
Windows port. I really don't know now. Before I used to "know". Now, I know
that I don't know.

Of course, on the short term, PostgreSQL needs a Windows port. A Windows port
can multiply the number of users by five immediately.

But on the long run, maybe 10 years, MS Windows will simply disappear. The
advance of GNU/Linux is now like an exponential curve.

Even my neighbours, who are 50 years old, look at Morphix and Synaptic and say
"Whaooo, please install them".

Cheers,
Jean-Michel