Re: comparing nulls

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon(at)thenilgiris(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: comparing nulls
Date: 2004-01-20 15:53:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

--- Guy Fraser <guy(at)incentre(dot)net> wrote:
> Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday 20 January 2004 19:26, Chris Bowlby
> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi Ken,
> >>
> >> Under 7.3.x this option was removed, you need to
> test via:
> >>
> >> SELECT * from table where field IS NULL;
> >>

> >thanx - works in both 7.1 and 7.3 - why do these
> guys keep fooling around
> >with these thangs?
> >

> Standards compliance :-)

You can get the old behaviour by setting
"transform_null_equals" to true in postgresql.conf.

I believe that this was originally added to add
compatibility with MS Access. But Access no longer
requires this, and the developers were not interested
in maintaining a non-spec-compliant behaviour. But
the postgresql.conf setting was retained for those who
have code that relies on that behaviour.